(To be read in conjunction with the Background Information and Selection Procedure that gives additional information about working and living at Sunseed).
This role will begin as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
The responsibilities of the Eco Construction Coordinator are wide and require all-round skills ranging from small plumbing repairs, joinery, to bigger projects such as planning and building new constructions using sustainable tenchniques. Volunteers from many countries are keen to help with the building work, often having more enthusiasm than skills. Good teaching and supervisory skills are therefore required along with an excellent understanding for the need and application of clear Health and Safety standards.
In line with our philosophy we recycle and reuse materials wherever possible and make as much use from locally available materials such as clay, river stones and caña (a locally growing cane, similar to bamboo). However, we are wanting to incorporate more ecological building materials into the traditional method of building.
Co-operation with the Maintenance and Appropriate Technology departments of the technical team are frequent, sometimes assisting with the repair of the hydraulic ram pump or the solar water heating systems, and therefore there is the opportunity to learn more about the renewable energies used on the project.
Sunseed is a vibrant, inter-cultural community where each member contributes to the smooth running of every day life, taking on responsibilities to assure a supportive communal environment. We are all part of this group, working closely with each other and respecting each other. The ideal candidate would be comfortable with, or ready to explore, this balance of community living, Eco-construction responsibilities, and personal life.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE
- Commitment to promoting low-impact living and the use of low-impact construction materials; local and recycled being preferred: earth, stone, clay, cane, agave, gypsum, lime, bottles, tyres etc.
- Experience of construction, especially using ecological methods. Particularly, a good understanding of carpentry and joinery.
- Ability to set targets, identify priorities and monitor progress; ability to adapt and be flexible about targets and working ‘out of hours’; document and evaluate this work.
- A strong interest in aesthetics, a creative approach and an attention to detail in your work and in general as an overview of the project site.
- Ability to work in a team, delegate and supervise volunteers, experience and or strong interest in teaching in a non-formal environment.
- Good communication skills, including ability to work as part of a closely-integrated team; patience and open mindedness to work with all members of the Sunseed community in a non-hierarchical (consensus decision making) organisational method
- Good spoken Spanish and English, (and/or other European Language) or willingness to learn
- Previous experience living in a community environment
- Age 25+, full driving license, for at least 5 years
- Experience of Health and Safety issues
- First Aid Qualification
- Sense of humour (probably essential!)
This role is open solely to individuals with EU nationality or the right to work in the EU already secured. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to support Employer Sponsorship packages or similar.
To apply for this role, please send an email with the subject line ‘Sunseed staff application’ and your CV and letter of motivation stating how you meet the responsibilities of the post, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted and the position will be appointed once a suitable candidate has been found.