(To be read in conjunction with the Background Information and Selection Procedure that gives additional information about working and living at Sunseed)
This role will begin in July, 2017
The Maintenance Coordinator is responsible for the maintenance and efficient running of the Project’s infrastructure. This includes but is not limited to:
- regular monthly inspections and maintenance of the Projects water supply including liaising and organising with other villages in the maintenance of the irrigation line
- internal and external water supply to our houses; the waste water system including urinals and compost toilets
- the upkeep of rooms including redecoration and repairs to windows, doors, walls, etc.
- repair of dry stone terrace walling, footpaths and other tasks may include the repair and maintenance of office equipment, hand tools, lighting and plumbing
- The maintenance of the projects vehicles is also a responsibility of the Maintenance Coordinator
Working closely with all staff and in particular with the Eco Construction coordinator and the Facilitation Coordinator, the Maintenance Coordinator’s, responsibility is to ensure that the Project’s infrastructure and equipment is maintained to a high standard using techniques and materials that do not cause significant harm to the environment.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Commitment to promoting low-impact living
- Excellent personal organisational abilities and financial acumen
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to work as part of a closely-integrated team; and the confidence, sensitivity, patience and open mindedness to work with all members of the Sunseed community
- Ability to set targets, identify priorities and monitor progress
- Be highly flexible – willing to work ‘out of hours’ when urgent maintenance tasks are required
- An understanding of the problems associated with poorly constructed ageing buildings in a semi arid environment – damp, drafts, extremes of temperature, etc.
- Ability to delegate and supervise volunteers
- Good oral communication
- Awareness of need for economy, including resources
- Awareness of need for hygiene, health and safety, and general cleanliness and tidiness
- Ability to make a comfortable communal environment with limited resources
- Ability to document and evaluate work
- Initiative and imagination for a central role in the Sunseed community
- Good spoken Spanish and English, (and/or other European Language)
- Age 26+, full driving license, for at least 5 years, ability to drive a van
- Experience of Health and Safety Issues
- First Aid Qualification
- Sense of humour (probably essential!)
To apply for this role: Please send an email with the subject line ‘Sunseed staff application’ and your CV and letter of motivation stating how you meet the responsibilities of the post, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted and the position will be appointed once a suitable candidate has been found.