Four traditional Andalucian houses, located in a conservation area, are used by the project for accommodation, offices, workshops. Facilities are very basic; there are no mains services. Photovoltaic panels provide electricity, Solar panels are used for water heating, and water for washing is pumped via a ram pump from the river that flows all the year round in the valley. Drinking water has to be brought by van 7 km away from a public fountain in the nearest town.
In line with our philosophy, we recycle and reuse materials wherever possible and make as much use from locally available materials such as river stones and caña (a locally growing cane). We are increasingly trying to incorporate more ecological building materials into the traditional method of building.
The responsibilities of the Maintenance Coordinator require skills like plumbing repairs, plastering, painting, carpentry, masonry, joinery. Volunteers from many countries are keen to help with the building work, often having more enthusiasm than skills. Good supervisory skills are therefore required along with an excellent understanding of the need and application of clear Health and Safety standards.
There are also many opportunities to offer new ideas to improve the running of the project and of working with other departments.
Planning and Organization
There is the opportunity to discuss day-to-day issues at weekly staff meetings and each department works on a small budget, which the coordinator has the responsibility of keeping to. Regular meetings provide support and guidance in planning and implementing the required tasks.
- General departmental responsibilities
- Working with own and other department coordinators
- Assisting and supervising volunteers in carrying out tasks
- Building Maintenance and improvements
- General repairs to roofs, floors, doors, etc and basic plumbing installations
- Plastering, painting and finishing with lime wash
- Tools and materials supervision
- Applying Safety rules
- Instructing on proper tool use
- Ensuring unsafe tools are not used
- Maintaining and repairing tools
- Safe storage
- Co-ordinating materials use
- Experience and knowledge of building skills including plumbing, plastering, woodwork etc.
- Tolerance of hard physical work in hot conditions
- Ability to organise work schedules
- Ability to lead and motivate volunteers, who range from those with a wealth of experience to those with little or none.
- Ability to work in co-operation with other departments
- Experience of Ecological building
- Ability to communicate well in Spanish and English
- Computer Literacy
- Clean Driving Licence
This Job Description should be read in conjunction with the General Job Description.
To apply for this role: Please fill in the form https://goo.gl/forms/3UlBgxt3dhnNY6Jt2