Minimum duration: 2 months
The technical assistant will work within the technical departments, assisting the corresponding coordinators in Appropriate Technology and Maintenance/Eco-construction. The internship length can be between 2-6 Months.
The Appropriate Technology department supervises systems of: solar powered electricity, hydraulic ram, hot water systemand much more. The Maintenance/Eco-construction department is responsible for the efficient functioning of the project’s infrastructure, including the village’s irrigation line as well as all-round skills ranging from building using local materials, plumbing repairs to joinery. The project has four traditional Andalucian houses to maintain in the village of Los Molinos del Rio Aguas.
Sunseed is a vibrant, inter-cultural community where each member contributes to the smooth running of everyday life, taking on responsibilities to assure a supportive communal environment. We are all part of this group, working closely with each other and respecting each other. The ideal candidate would be comfortable with, or ready to explore, this balance of community living, technical responsibilities, and personal life.
- Assisting the supervision of the renewable electricity system.
- Assisting the maintenance of the irrigation line and ram pump and overseeing the water distribution system.
- Assisting with general repairs.
- Supervising volunteers in choosing and carrying out project work in the technical team
- Contributing to courses and events run at Sunseed
- Documenting work done
- Ensuring safety
Skills, abilities and knowledge
- Experience in one or several of these: eco-construction, hydrology, plumbing systems, electronics and electricity, carpentry, welding, foundry, photovoltaic panels, wind turbines, water turbines, biofuels, solar heating…
- Ability to communicate well in English
- Ability to work with others, encouraging contributions from people with less experience or knowledge
- Interest in working with recycled materials
- Ability to communicate well in Spanish
- Computer Literacy
- Driving License
The cost of the learning opportunity is 100€ / week. All food, accommodation, and amenities are provided (internet, soap, eco-detergent, etc.). Please get in contact with your university for financing opportunities.
To apply, please fill in the form: https://goo.gl/forms/oqNCVRmenX098v1W2 selecting “Appropriate Technology” department as the one of your interest.