Join the team
Sunseed is run by voluntary staff members. Coordinators' contracts last for a year, while assistants come for 3 or 6 months (both can be extended). You will find the upcoming vacancies and the general work conditions below.
If you are interested in a certain position, please do apply as eventually it will be open.
- Implement and monitor a management plan for land restoration while fighting erosion, drought and restoring vegetal cover of the land.
- Maintain a low-tech tree nursery, ensuring the appropriate production of trees and shrubs for use in the Drylands development.
- Incorporating volunteers into the work and methodology and development of their own projects to satisfactory completion.
- Writing and supervising the production of reports, documenting larger projects, preparing projects proposals, producing literature.
- Maintain tools, instruct on their proper use and apply safety rules
- Maintain and build walls, paths, steps, fences and boundary markers.
- Use low impact, sustainable methods of composting, safe wastewater management and erosion control.
- Vegetation management including planting, pruning and harvesting.
- Keeping clear records of the boundaries of our various parcels of land, of their geology, hydrology and plant cover, and of how they are changing over time.
- Communicating our aims to a wide audience, online, in the village and elsewhere.
- Experience and knowledge of drylands management, land resoration, water management and/or any related areas.
- Tolerance of hard physical work in hot conditions.
- Ability to lead and motivate volunteers, who range from those with a wealth of experience to those with little or none.
- Ability to work in co-operation with other departments.
Commitment to Sunseed’s vision, mission and goals
Commitment to environmental stewardship and social change
Willingness to share knowledge and ideas and encourage learning, teaching and community integration
Ability to give short talks and guided tours
Ability to be flexible, co-operative and welcoming to all visitors
Ability to provide mentoring for visitors and supervise their projects
Good communication skills, good spoken and written English
Some knowledge of Spanish and willingness to improve language skills
If over 25, a full driving license valid for driving in Spain
Interest in living off-grid in a sustainable way
Locally sourced mostly organic food included
24 days of paid holidays per year
Internet, cosmetics, detergents, library, etc. provided
Unique location within a natural reserve with a natural pool
- Contract of 12-24 months
- Accommodation: basic single room
- 2 paid days off a month
- 150€ travel assistance at the end of each contract year
- Contract of 3-6 months
- Accommodation: basic shared room
- 40€ travel assistance at the end
- 2 days paid holidays per month